I have been cooking this upside down Island Egg Sandwich Breakfast since the time I learnt how to cook. Yes, I gave the name to this dish. In Hindi, I call it "Taapu Egg" or "Island Egg". I call it the island sandwich, because it looks like one. A square island if you may please. Its my signature Egg Recipe. Its a french toast meets sandwich meets omelet meets English breakfast meets heaven. Its a simple dish that we all know to make - Bread and Eggs, but with my twist. This is a wholesome breakfast. Its a perfect hangover breakfast or a brunch.
I remember cooking this for my brother one too many times over weekends. He absolutely loves it. I have impressed quite a few friends who land up at my place in the morning with this one. And the addition of the tomatoes and mozzarella on top, is my recent "cheffy" addition. It is me growing up as a cook. I am glad I could uplift the look and taste of this recipe, making it a restaurant style breakfast. And now, I am finally ready to share this with you. So yay. 😀
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 6-7 cherry tomatoes (preferably still on the vine for better presentation)
- A few arugula/rocket leaves (You can also use fresh baby spinach, lettuce or coriander leaves for garnish)
- Fresh buffalo mozzarella or bocconcini , golf ball size (Don’t use the stringy low quality pizza mozzarella. Use the ones that you can break with your hand easily)
- 2 Whole wheat bread slices
- Few pieces of shredded chicken from left overs ( you can use bacon, ham, sausages, whatever you like)
- 1 tbsp cheddar cheese grated ( you can use regular cheese cubes, cheese slice, cheese spread, whatever rocks your boat)
- ½ onion finely chopped ( if you don’t like raw onions, use cucumber instead)
- ½ tomato finely chopped,
- 1 tbsp cheese grated (use any cheese you like)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
For reducing the cooking time, multitask for this one. So the first thing I do is pan-roast the cherry tomatoes. In a hot skillet or a non-stick pack, add 1 tsp olive oil, cherry tomatoes and sprinkle a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. Let the tomatoes cook in slow flame for around 15 mins. Turn once in a while cooking the eggs.
In the meantime, make your sandwich with the stuffing and keep it ready. You can add butter to the slices. I made without it.
In a glass bowl, break and whip the eggs until its light and fluffy. I used a fork to whip. You can do it the way you like. I don’t need it to be too fluffy so a fork works well. I use a glass bowl to whip eggs as its easier to clean and get the eggy smell off.
In another hot non-stick pan or skillet, add 1 tsp oil and spread it around the pan. Add the whipped eggs and spread it into a circle using the pan’s handle. Keep it in low flame.
Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper over the omelet to season it
After a couple of minutes, place the sandwich at the center of the omelet while it is still wet. It is important that the eggs are wet so that the bottom of bread sticks to the omelet.
In a couple of minutes, brush the bread exposed on top with some oil and flip the omelet with the sandwich. When you flip, you will see that the egg covers the sandwich completely. Keep it in the pan till the bottom of the bread is crispy. This will take about 2-3 minutes. You can increase the flame at this point
Place the egg coated sandwich on your serving dish. By this time your tomatoes will be ready too
Place the arugula or rocket leave on top of the sandwich and then the cherry tomatoes. Top it up with a big chunk of fresh buffalo mozzarella or bocconcini .
Sprinkle some more pepper if you like. I used Cambodian Red pepper, which I bought from my trip to Cambodia. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil to boost the flavours. The colourful and gorgeous looking Island egg is ready to devour.
Food Marriage Tips:
- For the Sandwich stuffing, you can go crazy. You can use potatoes, or just cheese. Use ham, bacon, spinach, mushrooms. Stuff it with sauces you like. Its all upto you. Just make sure that it is not too fat or else you may make a mess while flipping it over
- I used cherry tomatoes and mozzarella as the island sandwich topping. But here again you can experiment with things you have at home. It is like your mini island canvas. You can just drizzle honey and put in whatever cheese you have at home. You can just use hash browns or sausages. Basically your usual breakfast goodies but all in one squared area of the sandwich.
- You can make the sandwich and omelet separately and place it similarly. Having said that, you may not get the same experience. The wetness of the egg and bread when combined together, is divine.
If you like this recipe, you might want to check out my other breakfast recipes:
- Healthy Italian Baked Eggs with Marinara Sauce
- 20 minutes Baked Eggs with Mushrooms, Corn and Spinach
- Sri Lankan Kottu Roti
- Toastadas made with left over Chappati/Roti