It's a Sunday and we want to have something light and refreshing. Planned to make some Mexican black bean dip with wheat burritos for dinner. My dip is almost ready. Just ordered some tomatoes and cheese to mix it in. In the mean time decided to write down the recipe for you.
I am part of this really fun group on Facebook called "Food Blogger's Recipe Swap". We swap each others recipe to try them out and also submit posts as part of monthly themes. We all cumulatively decided to do Mexican dips this month. So this recipe will be sorted for that.
- 1 can Black Beans. Reserve the can water. You can also use boiled cooked black beans or small black rajma beans
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic pods finely chopped
- 1 capsicum finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin/jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder or use any hot red chili powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon freshly squeezed
Add the oil in a pan and place it on low heat
After 30s add the chopped garlic and saute for a few seconds to flavour the oil
Then, add the onions and cook in high flame till the onions are translucent and cooked
Mash the black beans lightly to keep it chunky. Pour the black beans with the reserved liquid and cook it till you get a consistency of your choice
Add the vinegar, salt, chili powder, and cumin powder. Mix well and take it off the heat.
Now add the tomatoes and capsicum. Garnish with coriander or cilantro and lemon juice. I had boiled some corn on the hob but I forgot to add it. But you should add it if you like. You could also add cheese to this but I made a healthy version with very little oil
Serve it hot or cold with Nachos or make a Burrito, like I did. Refrigerate the remaining Mexican black beans dip for later use
- Black Beans goes well with most Mexican dishes. Use this recipe as a Nachos dip, or as a Burrito Salsa. You can also put all the ingredient in a food processor and make it into a sauce.
If you like this try my other popular recipes:
- Italian Marinara Sauce
- Authentic Red Thai Curry
- Hearty Greek Lamb Meatballs in homemade tomato sauce
- Spanish Seafood Paella