I am a sucker for yummy breakfasts but its a task to think of what to cook early in the morning. Sounds familiar? Its my existential problem especially on weekdays. But this Italian style Baked Eggs recipe has sorted me out. This is a super healthy and a yummy breakfast recipe.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Food Mood: On the go, rushing before leaving for work
Taste Palate: Healthy and hearty
Ambiance: Sunny bright mornings
Music: Whatever gets you rocking in the morning. Classic Rock?
- 1 cup, Marinara or Pasta Sauce (Click here for recipe)
- 2 Eggs
- Salt, to season eggs
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 Jalapeno,finely sliced (optional)
- Preheat the oven for 5 mins at 200 degrees celcius
- In two baking ramekins, add 2 tbsp of Marinara sauce each. Add little less than half of the bowl. Since this is a healthy version i haven’t used any oil/butter to grease the ramekins
- Now break an egg in each ramekin like you would for a fried egg. You can add two eggs per ramekin as well if your ramekins are big enough. Spread the jalapenos around the yolk. You can add capsicum or bell peppers too. But this is optional.
- Season with salt and pepper. You can also grate some Parmesan. But, I was going for healthy. So omitted it.
- Now place the ramekins on a tray and bake for 15 mins for runny yolk and set white. For hard yolk, bake for another 3-4 mins.
- Take the ramekins out immediately, garnish with herbs and serve with hot toasted bread to dip into the yolk. You can eat it without the bread as well. Make a nice smoothie along with it if you like
Food Marriage Tips
- Its not necessary to use Marinara sauce. You can use whatever sauces you have at home. You can pesto, pizza sauce, left over curries or vegetables. Make whatever version you like when you don’t have the time
- Instead of a sauce, you can also saute some onions and chopped tomatoes with some seasoning. And you are ready to go.