As promised, I am posting the recipe of the dinner I cooked for myself on 1st Jan. The Gajar ka Halwa turned out really good but it isn’t perfect so will make it right first before sharing the recipe. I think its a bit too try. But the Chicken was a blockbuster. I am guessing it was because I was the only one to eat it and I loved it 😉
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 8-10 mins
Expertise Level: Easy
Ingredients Availability: Easily available in Super Markets
- Taste Palate: Low to Medium Spicy
- Ambience: A quick and quiet dinner with some good TV
- TV Series: Sherlock Mini Episode I had to wait to watch it till the day before the season 3 was up for download.
2 halves of a boneless chicken breast
5 cloves of garlic, crushed and finely chopped
1/2 a thumb of ginger, finely chopped
1/2 a thumb of fresh turmeric, finely sliced
1/2 of an Orange
1 Leafy part of a fennel stem, roughly chopped
3/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Sumac
1 Cheese Cube
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper powder
1 tbsp olive oil
This is what I make for dinner at least twice a week. I love it because its so simple and so healthy (ofcourse, minus the cheese). I keep changing the seasoning and the herbs to create exciting and new flavours every time. The day I buy chicken breasts, the first thing I do when I get back home is that I pound the chicken breasts with a knife to flatten it out. You could use a meat mallet or a rolling pin, to tenderize the meat and ensure uniform thickness. Then I marinate them with salt, ginger, garlic and lemon. Normally I would like to add chopped chilies as well but I did not use it for this recipe. I leave it in the freezer overnight. If you want to cook it the same day, you can marinate the chicken for atleast 1 hour. Keep it in the top shelf of your fridge until you cook it on the same day. So I get the chicken out of the fridge. Make sure the chicken is defrosted before cooking. Try not using a microwave to do that though. It starts to cook the edges and dries it out.
I put a nonstick pan on the stove and let it heat nicely. Its important that the pan is hot. Now I just drizzle the oil and let it heat for another 1 minute. I add the sliced turmeric into the pan and stir it for a couple of seconds. Next I slap the 2 pieces of marinated breast along with all the goodies on the pan and I let it cook for about 4 minutes on one side. Time it. It helps. Now I just flip the breasts over with the turmeric and add the garnishes like orange juice, sumac and the grated cheese on top. You can skip the cheese if you like. It was my new year dinner hence I deserved a fatty treat ;). Don’t fret if you dont have sumac or even the fresh turmeric. Use pepper and ginger or even galangal. They would all taste wonderful.
So I cook the other side of the chicken for about 4 minutes or so. The cheese melted. The chicken juices and oil were running out of the chicken. I could feel the nice charry, but not burnt, stickyness on the pan to know that its done. I took it out on a serving plate and rested it for a couple of minutes. I finished it off with a garnish of some roughly chopped fennel leaves.
Food Marriage Tips
EXPERIMENT. You can try multiple things. Use things that you have at home – butter, pepper, ginger, basil leaves, a tsp of ketchup if you like, try rosemary or even sage :
1) Sage, butter garlic chicken will be heavenly.
2) When you cook with rosemary or sage, you could marinate them with the chicken.
3) Similarly, basil and ketchup will go well too. Dont marinate fresh basil leaves though. They go best when freshly chopped and added on top in the last stage of your cooking.
4) Try Garlic, coriander roots and stem and pepper chicken. That is easy to find at home. Garnish with coriander leaves
5) Add chillies whenever you like how much ever you like
6) You can go chinese. Instead of lemon, use soya sauce and vinegar in the marinate. Use chinese 5 spices for the seasoning.
7) Go super Indian with chillies, coriander powder, bay leaf and garam masala.
8) Try Honey and ginger if you like it sweet. Garnish it with some pepper. Make it nice and sticky.
9) Sesame crusted chilly ginger chicken with a corn salad